Monday, August 2, 2010

why is it?


why is it that so many rush on and in
without a care for anything
whilst others tread carefully and get crushed
why do the careless succeed and the careful stumble
while those without a thought for the thoughtful remain unhumbled?
and then there are those who choose with care
only to get trampled underfoot by those who don’t
what good is wisdom in this life?
and of what value is being mindful of the meaning of things?
to seek out the origin is as futile as searching out the conclusion
we all will come to an end
and though we believe this way or that
we all choose to believe what we believe
there are no unbelievers
merely those who choose to and those who choose not
however, most choose not to think about it too much at all
we will never know until believing itself comes to an end
and faith is of no more use than the air that eventually will serve us no more
and what will we breath then?

though it causes me much pain
I cannot help but choose to believe
that there must be more
than the nothing we claim to be everything

1 comment:

  1. Do I have the answer?

    I think I used to once some time ago.
    Perhaps the answer for me now is that there is no answer (at least not this side of the grave)
    Perhaps foremost of the things we need to die to (according to the words ascribed to Jesus in the gospels) is primarily our theology?
    It is God's kingdom that is coming, not ours
    It is God's will that is to be done, not ours
    I have come to realize after 30 long years of having God faithfully walk alongside me in my cumbersome stumblings that we really do not know him at all (even though we all tend to maintain vociferously that we do)
    The greatest of prophets were struck dumb, numb and lifeless in his presence - even his closest apostles/disciples never recognized him mere days, even hours after his death and resurrection.
    No matter what I have done, said, believed, etc. I have been shocked not by my faithfulness (or lack thereof) but by his faithfulness and dogged determination to honour his promise never to leave me.
    He never promised to do things my way nor to await my comprehension or consent.
    It is very humiliating to come to that conclusion
    In brokenness and personal poverty I penned that poem having come to realize that even though I fail dismally to comprehend, there is indeed a purpose under the sun. I can, by faith, say this with some degree of confidence.
    However, I can say little more

    ReplyDelete